NORTH CAROLINA 89, PORTLAND 81
PHIL KNIGHT INVITATIONAL FIRST ROUND
MODA CENTER, PORTLAND, ORE.
UNC Points Guide: Peter Nance 28 (equals career high)
UNC Rebound Leaders: Armando Bacot 13
UNC Assist Leader: RJ Davis 5
Team Records: UNC 5-0, Portland 4-3
• Tar Heels are 5-0 on aggregate, 1-0 away.
• Peter Nance tied his career high with a best 28 points of the season. He had previously scored 28 goals on 1/12/22 while playing for Northwestern vs. Maryland.
• Nance scored 20 or more for the ninth time and 25 or more for the second time.
• Nance had a career-high five threes. He made four against Nebraska on 2/22/22.
• Nance also had a season-best with seven rebounds.
• caleb love scored 16 points in the first half and 23 for the game. It was his third 20-point game of the season and his 18th as a tar heel. UNC is 18-0 if Love scores 20 or more points.
• Love has 1,020 points, becoming the 80th Tar Heel to reach 1,000 career points. That’s more 1,000-point scorers than any other school in college basketball history (Louisville is second with 69).
• Love scored 10 of 15 field goals. This was the highest field goal percentage (.667) of his college career. The previous best was 7 for 11 (.636) at Boston College last season. His previous best in a game in which he scored 10 or more field goals was 55.0% on 11 of 20 against Duke in the 2022 NCAA Semifinals.
• Armando Bacot had 11 points and a game-high 13 rebounds. It was his second double-double of the season and 51st of his career, tying Antawn Jamison for the second most double-double by a tar heel (Billy Cunningham had 60).
• This was the 58th game in which Bacot had 10 or more rebounds, the second most in UNC history (Cunningham had 61).
• Bacot had six offensive rebounds (14 in the last two games). It was the 22nd time he had six or more offensive rebounds in his UNC career.
• Bacot passed Kennedy Meeks for fifth in UNC history with 1,061 rebounds. Cunningham is fourth with one more than Bacot.
REBOUNDS – UNC, CAREER
1. 1219 Tyler Hansbrough, 2005-09
2. 1168 Sam Perkins, 1980-84
3. 1097 George Lynch, 1989-93
4. 1062 Billy Cunningham, 1962-65
5. 1061 Armando Bacot2019-
6. 1052 Kennedy Meeks, 2013-17
7. 1035 Brice Johnson, 2012-16
8. 1027 Antawn Jamison, 1995-98
9. 1006 Mitch Kupchak, 1972-76
10. 1003 Brad Daugherty, 1982-86
DOUBLE-DOUBLES (POINTS & REBOUNDS) – UNC, CAREER
60 Billy Cunningham, 1962-65
51 Armando Bacot2019-
51 Antawn Jamison, 1995-98
• RJ Davis led UNC with five assists and hit a key shot with 24 seconds left to make it a two-possession game.
• Davis has five or more assists in three of his first five games and leads UNC with 19.
• Carolina shot 53.4% from the floor. It was the second time this season UNC had shot at least 50% for the game (.603 vs. Charleston) and it was the first time UNC had shot better than 50% in both halves.
• Carolina is 9-1 at Oregon State (2-1 at Moda Center).
• Carolina is 193-31 as the No. 1 team in the AP poll.
• Carolina was the season’s top plus-16 (39-23) for the second straight season.
• The Tar Heels made just 16 of 26 free throws for a season-low percentage of .615.
• The Tar Heels combined with 11 three-point season bests and a season-best 50% from three (11 of 22).
•˜Nance’s five threes are the most by a tar heel this season.
• Portland hit 12 three-pointers, the most by an opponent this season (previously Charleston’s eight).
• The game featured 15 lead changes (the most in a UNC game this season) and six draws.
• Portland had 22 assists from 28 baskets, the most assists by an opponent since Tennessee’s November 28 last year in Connecticut.
Series against Portland
• UNC is 2-0 against the Pilots, both in Portland at PK80 2017 and PKI 2022.